How Does CBD Affect Energy?
If you find yourself at home trying to relax or out and about, it’s likely you want to have energy when you need it. Whether you need to tackle a to-do list, a workout, or a workday, understanding how CBD may help you is important. For example, you may have heard that CBD may help you increase your energy and focus. You may have also seen studies that show CBD can help you sleep. While these effects seem at odds, it is possible for CBD to do it all.
How can CBD increase energy?
Feelings of low energy can be caused by a variety of factors — metabolic conditions, a poor diet or a lack of sleep, and conditions such as anxiety and depression can all leave us feeling lethargic and struggling to concentrate. So, what’s the evidence that CBD can increase energy or boost your mood?
- In a study that examined CBD as a potential wake-inducing agent, we see that the results are regarded as promising but limited. The study also indicates other findings of CBD proving helpful in cases of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Furthermore, on a more chemical level, CBD can promote dopamine by stimulating the adenosine receptor. Dopamine affects processes like motor control, motivation, reward, and cognition. CBD may also promote glutamate, which affects learning and memory production.
- CBD can interact with the GABA-A receptor to enhance its ability to bind with GABA. GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in our nervous system, and CBD can allow the GABA-A receptor to amplify the natural calming effect of GABA, which is helpful in addressing anxiety.
How can CBD help with sleep?
Did you know that the National Sleep Foundation recommends 7–10 hours of sleep each night for adults? If you feel like you never hit that mark, this may explain your lack of energy. And, furthermore, it takes a consistent sleep-wake cycle to feel truly rested. “Catching up” on sleep all at once doesn’t really offer the same benefits.
Often, an imbalance of serotonin causes poor sleep. Disturbed sleep and feeling fatigued even after getting enough sleep are two signs that a serotonin imbalance may be present. Like with dopamine, CBD can interact with serotonin receptors to help keep a balanced level of the chemical in the body.
In fact, the American Sleep Association cited several studies in an attempt to answer whether or not CBD can help insomnia. The results indicated that sleep improved among participants and anxiety levels even more so. CBD also earned recognition for being a sleep aid that, in most cases, doesn’t result in grogginess the next morning. When combined with other sleep-promoting ingredients, such as melatonin, CBD is an even more powerful option.
Fast facts about how CBD affects energy
Let’s discuss a few fast facts about how CBD affects energy:
- CBD may play a role in increased motivation and cognition (dopamine levels).
- Possibly helps as well with memory formation (via glutamate).
- CBD may help amplify GABA, which helps mitigate anxiety.
- In other studies, CBD’s ability to limit anxiety also improved sleep.
- Sleep study participants also benefited from less grogginess the following day.
How can I find the right CBD for me?
Finding the right CBD formula for you and your specific needs may take some time. You may be interested in our blog: Which CBD Product is Best? Or, perhaps you’re more curious about how CBD will make you feel. To get you started with a few specific recommendations, however, we’ve provided the list below filled with some of our best-sellers. Before you add CBD to your routine, of course, you should consult your physician. He or she will be the best judge of how CBD will affect you and can take into account any other medications or conditions.
- CBD for metabolism: Kat’s Naturals Metabolize CBD Oil with CBG
- Top CBD Product of the Year for Sleep: cbdMD PM Oil Tincture – Mint
- Another sleep favorite: Lazarus Naturals Relaxation CBD Capsules
- Browse all CBD for energy
- Browse all CBD for sleep
Editor’s Note: This blog was originally published on 10/1/18 & has been updated to include more recent information.
Leave a Reply