Which CBD Products Work Best for Cats?
CBD or cannabidiol products are mainstays of pet wellness by now, readily available in online shops or at veterinary offices. From CBD dog sprays to CBD dog treats, the dog CBD market has been increasing in popularity, almost at par with CBD products for humans.
What you may not know is that there are CBD products designed for cats too. If you prefer buying your pet’s CBD products online, it helps to know a little about what to buy for your pet – especially cats, since there are fewer CBD-infused options out there for your feline friends.
Like humans and dogs, cats have an endocannabinoid system that supports key bodily functions such as sleep, appetite, and overall body health. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system, utilizing the system’s receptors. For this reason, CBD for cats now offers another option for pet parents to help their feline fur babies with all sorts of issues they may have – anxiety, minor aches, trouble relaxing or sleeping, and so on.
We want you to have the best possible experience with the cat CBD products you buy, hence this guide to the best CBD products for cats. First, we’ll cover some helpful information about CBD for cats to get you and your feline pal started. Then we’ll tell you about each of these selections for the best CBD for cats:
Our Picks for the Best CBD for Cats
- Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture – Salmon Flavor: For kitties who need a little more calm.
- Lazarus Naturals Sensitive CBD Oil Pet Tincture: Best for cats who are more sensitive.
- cbdMD Pet CBD Cat Tincture Oil – Natural: Best for overall everyday health routine.
Is CBD Safe for Cats?
As a pet owner, it’s your responsibility to decide what’s best and safe for your feline friends to try. Aside from your cat’s daily needs, supportive supplements can help keep your cat living their best life. Those, too, require some preliminary research to be sure they’re safe for your pet before you give it to them.
The same goes for CBD products. Have a talk with your cat’s veterinarian to make sure your feline pal is a good candidate for CBD. Not all veterinarians are familiar with CBD and its benefits for cats, but they should know your cat’s medical history and any current medical concerns, plus what medications your pet may be taking and how CBD could fit into that equation.
According to the World Health Organization or WHO, “CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile. Reported adverse effects may be as a result of drug-drug interactions between CBD and patients’ existing medications.” This is another reason that conversation with your cat’s vet is so important. With the all-clear from your cat’s vet, you’ll feel more confident giving your cat CBD.
There isn’t extensive scientific research on the use of CBD for pets, let alone cats. Generally speaking, CBD is thought to be safe for cats in proper dosage. It’s important to always follow the packaging instructions for the particular CBD products you buy for your cat, as they can differ from brand to brand.
Must-Know CBD Terms
Broad spectrum, full spectrum, and isolate are terms referring to the type of CBD extract used in the product’s formulation. Knowing what each category entails puts you at an advantage in terms of making the best choice for your cat’s needs:
- Isolate – When a CBD product is labeled “isolate,” it means the CBD extract used in the formulation is the purest form. The extract does not contain any other cannabis compounds except CBD (cannabidiol).
- Broad spectrum – A broad spectrum extract contains CBD and other cannabis compounds, but not THC (or tetrahydrocannabinol, the main intoxicating compound in cannabis). Many pet owners avoid including THC in their pet’s daily intake, especially if THC’s inclusion isn’t necessary A CBD product labeled broad spectrum is an excellent option for getting most of hemp’s beneficial compounds but at the same time avoiding THC.
- Full spectrum – A full spectrum extract contains more of the compounds found in cannabis, including THC. Though the THC content is quite low at only 0.3%, which is not intoxicating, it does contribute to the so-called “entourage effect.”
The entourage effect is the theory describing the interaction between all of hemp’s compounds (cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and more) that unite to enhance each other’s effects. Full spectrum options are the most relaxing and may help more with sleep than some of the other choices.
CBD Cat Products – Our Best Picks
Here are our top choices for the best feline CBD products on the market today.
1. Best pick for relaxation
Product: Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture – Salmon Flavor
Brand: Lazarus Naturals
Form: CBD oil tincture (Tinctures come with an administration dropper.)
CBD extract type: Full Spectrum CBD
One of the common culprits of cat anxiety is separation-related anxiety. Pets, in general, develop a strong attachment to their owners over time, resulting in stress once pet owners leave for a while, whether for a day of work or a week of vacation. Cat anxiety may be caused by other reasons as well such as illness or trauma.
This tasty tincture each day can help your cat to feel more calm, even if you have to go out for a bit and leave them at home. Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture goes beyond the regular CBD hemp extract formulation. It infuses calming CBD with wild salmon fish oil, rich in omega-3. As part of your cat’s daily care, a consistent fish oil diet is found to support memory, balance, and coordination.
More Information about this calming CBD oil pet tincture:
- 300mg of CBD per 15mL tincture
- 600mg of CBD per 30mL tincture
- 1200mg of CBD per 60mL tincture
- 2400mg of CBD per 120mL tincture
COA link: Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture – Salmon Flavor
Buy it here: Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture – Salmon Flavor
2. Best for sensitive cats
Product: Lazarus Naturals Sensitive CBD Oil Pet Tincture, flavorless
Brand: Lazarus Naturals
Form: CBD oil tincture
CBD extract type: CBD isolate
Cats are sensitive in general. Felines have more exact nutritional requirements than many other domesticated animals. They are also sensitive to any changes in their environment. They wouldn’t appreciate you putting a bitter liquid of oil in their mouth without warning. Because this tincture is flavorless, you can drizzle it right into their mouth or onto their food and they’ll be less inclined to notice their food tastes different.
The Lazarus Naturals Sensitive CBD Oil Pet Tincture is designed for finicky cats. The THC-free tincture has a much smaller potency compared to the standard CBD strength for each CBD product — perfect for sensitive cats and those looking to ease CBD slowly into the everyday routine of their cats.
More Information about this pet CBD tincture:
Potency per tincture:
- 225mg of CBD per 15mL
- 600mg of CBD per 30mL
- 1200mg of CBD per 60mL
- 2400mg of CBD per 120mL
COA link: Lazarus Naturals Sensitive CBD Oil Pet Tincture
Buy it here: Lazarus Naturals Sensitive CBD Oil Pet Tincture
3. Best for overall everyday health routine
Product: cbdMD Pet CBD Cat Tincture Oil – Natural flavor
Form: CBD oil tincture
CBD extract type: Broad Spectrum
A consistent daily dose of CBD coupled with healthy feline activities such as exploring the wide outside, eating clean and healthy food, drinking clean water, plenty of play sessions, a good litter box routine, and more can make a positive impact on your cat’s life.
cbdMD is one of the biggest names in the CBD industry. Their pet brand Paw CBD has a strong line of veterinary-formulated CBD products for pets. cbdMD Pet CBD Cat Tincture Oil is great for everyday use because it offers a wide range of applications.
More Information about this feline CBD tincture:
Potency per tincture:
- 150mg of CBD per 30mL
- 300mg of CBD per 30mL
COA link: cbdMD Pet CBD Cat Tincture Oil – Natural
Buy it here: cbdMD Pet CBD Cat Tincture Oil – Natural
Ways to Introduce CBD Oil Tinctures to Your Cats
Remember, cats are sensitive to changes in their routines and environment. It’s important to ease them slowly into taking CBD. Here are some of the ways to bring CBD into your cat’s routine while minimizing any tummy upset or creating a fear response to something new.
- In Food – If your cat isn’t a fan of taking CBD oil through a dropper, you always have the option of mixing CBD (preferably in oil form) in their food and treats.
- Using a dropper – If your cat isn’t sensitive about you putting a dropper directly into their mouth, it can be one of the most potent and efficacious ways of giving CBD to cats.
- In their empty dinner bowl – Cats love their dinner bowls, which they associate with good times and food. Sometimes they’ll lick the bowl’s insides even if it’s empty. Put a fish-flavored CBD oil tincture (such as Lazarus Naturals Calming CBD Oil Pet Tincture – Salmon Flavor) in their empty bowl and they will lick it clean. You can also use a licking treat made for cats to disguise the oily drops.
- Rub oil to their paws – Cats without fail try to always be clean by constantly licking their arms, legs, body, and paws. Why not slyly rub some CBD oil in their paws?
Cats have a pattern of behavior. They mainly act on instinct, but cats also have their own quirks and personalities. Some cats can be very sweet while others can be quite standoffish and quieter.
No matter what traits your cats might have, if abnormal behaviors that may be related to digestive problems, mobility issues, too much sleep, or over-vocalization occur, it may warrant a trip to a veterinarian.
A holistic approach to pet care using products like CBD can be a kinder, more gentle way to help your feline friend to relax and have a more comfortable life. CBD for cats is just one more way to help you make the most of your snuggle time together. They say cats have nine lives, but we only get to spend one lifetime with them, so make the most of it each and every day.